When you buy a new or reconditioned stairlift from a reputable company, you can expect to enjoy many trouble-free years. And with routine servicing and regular care, your stairlift should stay in perfect working order. All that being said, we’re sometimes asked by our customers ‘Why is my stairlift not working?’.
Issues with newer or recently refurbished stairlifts rarely lie with a mechanical failure and can often be put down to maintenance oversights and user error. If you’re having a problem with your stairlift, it will usually have a simple and straightforward solution. All our straight stairlifts have an onboard diagnostic system to help diagnose any faults too.
Here we take a look at troubleshooting some fairly common stairlift problems, to get your stairlift back on track as quickly as possible without needing to call out an engineer.
Why is my Stairlift Not Working?
My Stairlift Won’t Move
You’ve probably done so already, but if not, check or double-check the on/off switch on the stairlift.
Step 1: If the switch is in the ‘off’ position, turn it to switch the stairlift ‘on’. The power light should be illuminated to show it is on.
Step 2: Then check the master power switch. Make sure this switch is on. Again, the power light will illuminate to show it is receiving power.
Step 3: If your stairlift still isn’t working, check the key. Make sure it is fully inserted and is in the ‘on’ position.
If you’re confident your stairlift is connected to the power supply, but it still isn’t moving, try the following:
- Check the swivel seat and levers. Make sure they are all in the correct position.
- Check whether there is anything obstructing the safety edges. If there is something in the way, reverse the stairlift and remove the obstruction.
- If you have a hinged rail, check it is lowered properly and locked in place.
- Turn the power key to the ‘off’ position and then ‘on’.
- Move and hold the control in the direction of travel for a few seconds. The stairlift should start after a short while.
If your stairlift still isn’t working after trying each step, speak to the team at Halton Stairlifts for advice on what to do next.
My Stairlift Keeps Stopping
Your stairlift may keep stopping during a journey because of obstructions on the stairs. Stairlifts with a footrest with safety edges will slow to a stop if an object is detected in the stairlift’s path. Remove the obstruction and continue your journey.
If your stairlift keeps stopping along the stairs, there may be technical issues with power connections or contacts. You will need to call out an engineer to take a closer look if this is the underlying cause.
My Stairlift Keeps Beeping
Your stairlift won’t work if the battery is not charged properly. Taking a closer look at the different reasons your stairlift is making a noise, you can find the answers to why is my stairlift beeping? in our handy guide.
My Stairlift Has No Power
If your stairlift doesn’t look to be charged, try the following checks:
- Is the mains switch on your wall in the on position?
- Have you checked that your stairlift is stored correctly in its charging location?
- Are all the contact points clean?
- See if the on/off switch, the master power switch, and the isolation key are all in the ‘on’ position.
My Stairlift Remote Control isn’t Working
It may just be that the batteries need replacing. Check which type of batteries you need and how many, and swap them for some new fully-charged ones.
If you’ve put our advice in place but you’re still having issues with your stairlift, don’t worry as we can still help.
- Did you know that stairlifts bought from us within the last twelve months are still protected by our stairlift warranty cover? Your warranty includes a 24-hour emergency call-out service and also covers you for parts and labour.
- If your Halton Stairlifts stairlift is over twelve months old, you can still access stairlift repairs and servicing from us. If you’re outside of your warranty period, there will be a charge for any parts and repairs you require, but our highly experienced engineers can be with you quickly, usually within 24 hours.
Our team are always on hand to offer practical and helpful advice about your stairlift, so feel free to contact us with your stairlift questions. Or, if you would like to get a FREE no-obligation quote for a replacement stairlift, call us on 0800 644 7766. You can also check with our team our eligibility to purchase an extended warranty for your stairlift.
If you’re still experiencing problems, arrange a 24 hour emergency call-out visit for your stairlift. Get in touch today on 0800 644 774
Neil is the founder of Halton Stairlifts. He has years of experience installing stairlifts across the UK. With an eagerness to help those with mobility issues get up the stairs, Neil understands how important it is for a seamless and straightforward approach to installing stairlifts to help those in need quickly.